Acne affects millions young and old. For those of us with sensitive skin, or who choose an organic lifestyle, it may have been a challenge in the past to find true solutions and organic treatments for acne.
While some have tried chemicals and pills to treat acne, these often deliver negative side effects and do not agree with an organic lifestyle.
Understanding the cause of acne, which is bacteria and yeast, can help us understand how to deliver organic treatments that work. But, how the pores got clogged requires a thoughtful approach.
There are some key areas to address when combatting acne with an organic lifestyle. Putting your focus on these areas will help your skin get back to healthy and clear.
Causes of Acne
Only you will know which of these issues may be delivering your acne problem. It may be one, a combination, or all of these causes:
- Hormone imbalance
- Skin care routine
- Stress or increased cortisol
These lifestyle issues affect millions, the following strategy will help you get clear.
Organic Lifestyle Tips for Acne
Excercise. We have to say it; you need to exercise regularly. It will help you reduce the stress and toxins that can lead to acne. A healthy sweat will clear your pores, boost oxygen to the skin and give you a radiance all over that acne can’t latch onto.
Exercise will also help burn off excess cortisol which exacerbates acne.
Organic Acne Diet
Drink lots of water
If we’re starting to sound like your mother, well, she was right. Water helps keep skin cells healthy, and get the toxins out of the body. Water is the basic
Anti Acne Foods – Start with the Gut
- Probiotic foods like kefir, pickles and other cultured foods are great for crowding out acne-causing bacteria in the body, and thus on the the skin. Go the extra mile here and add a probiotic supplement with high lactic bacteria CFU.
- Chia seeds and flaxseed are high in zinc and help promote a healthy immune system in the gut.
- Increase fiber intake from vegetables and fruit. Not only do these foods promote toxin and bacteria removal, they contain high vitamin content to heal the body. The results will show on your face.
Avoid Inflammation Causing Foods
- Milk and dairy products create inflammation in the whole body (exception to kefir).
- Chocolate actually triggers acne directly.
- Fried foods will further create inflammation and trigger acne in the skin.
- Sugars and simple grains feed harmful bacteria and yeast in the body. Cutting out these low-value foods will help promote a clear complexion that’s undeniably healthy.
Protect Your Hormones
- Omega-3 fish oil supplement to keep overall inflammation in check and promotes hormone balance at the same time. This is an essential supplement that all individuals should take for general health, but if you don’t like pills, make sure to eat plenty of healthy omega-3 rich foods like salmon or tuna.
- Non-organic skin care products contain chemicals that are absorbed into the skin and enter the bloodstream. These chemicals often turn into xenoestrogens or toxic hormones that create disharmony in the body and long term health risks.
Related: How to Naturally Balance Hormones
Acne Skin Care Routine
- Clean skin before bed with a gentle cleanser. Harsh cleansers that strip away oils create a bigger acne problem as they force the skin to overreact in a balancing strategy. Washing with a mixture of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey has been immensely helpful with controlling acne as they keep bacteria under control.
- Apply Tea Tree Oil day and night. Tea tree contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that keep acne at bay. The Pore Refining Exfo Toner contains tea tree and other skin calming ingredients to help treat acne.
Bad Habit Checklist
Additional things to avoid to keep acne under control:
- Do you touch your face with your hands or hair (bangs resting on the forehead exacerbate an acne problem)?
- Are you cleaning your makeup brushes regularly ?
- Are you using makeup that is designed for sensitive skin?
By following this acne guide, you can make your skin clear and acne free forever!