Building Beauty Within Through Specialized Nutrition
With attention turned now to how individuals can enhance beauty through nutrition, we see a number of innovative supplement products designed to improve the body’s ability to rejuvenate and protect cellular function. There is one thing for skin that can help the body produce the substance that is most responsible for its smoothness and suppleness. That substance is collagen.
Collagen’s Role in Skin Health
It is well established that collagen is responsible for skin strength and elasticity, and its degradation leads to wrinkles that accompany aging.
As we get older, our body’s collagen production reduces which can result in an increase of wrinkles and fine lines, and decreasing smoothness and suppleness of the skin. But, these signs of aging can be treated or slowed down if total body collagen levels can be increased. Since collagen cannot be absorbed through the skin, people have turned to supplementation. The problem is the traditional sources of collagen (bovine and porcine) were not considered to be all that well absorbed.
In recent times there has been an advancement in collagen supplementation with the emergence of collagen peptides (especially fish collagen peptide). Studies range in demonstration from showing increase absorption after ingestion 1 to other positive efficacious markers of absorption such as the synthesis of new collagen fibers 2 and positive effects on the skin as would be expected by an increase in collagen. 3,4,5,6
The beneficial characteristics of the fish collagen peptide form of collagen are that it can be easily digested and absorbed in our body, has little or no smell, easily dissolves in water, and has an overall low allergy potential. It consists of small peptide molecules in the range of 3,000 and 5,000 daltons. Its absorption in the small intestine is superior to other collagen products due to its smaller molecule size, which leads to a more efficient collagen synthesis. Because of these advantages in absorption, fish collagen peptide is becoming the collagen of choice for skin care supplements to improve skin smoothness, elasticity, moisture, and to also slow down the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
Fish Collagen Peptide: The Ultimate Anti-Aging Ingredient
As we age, we have less moisture in the skin, we lose smoothness and suppleness, the youthful plumpness of our face fades (watch old videos if you need proof), then ultimately our skin wrinkles. These unfortunate events have lead to the commercial rage that is anti-aging with skin care. Truth be told, while there are many fine adjunct approaches, there is nothing greater you could do for an anti-aging approach than to increase total body collagen. This is why many are interested in collagen supplementation, and those “in the know” are looking to fish collagen peptide as the most absorbable, most effective way to increase total body collagen and to get healthy, younger looking skin.
1. Iwal K., Hasegawa T., Taguchi Y., et al., (2006) Identification of food-derived collagen peptides in human blood after oral ingestion of gelatin hydrolysates. J Agric Food Chem 53: 6531-6535
2. Postlethwaite AE., Seyer JM., Kang AH., (1978) Chemotactic attraction of human fibroblasts to type I, II, and III collagens and collagen derived peptides. Proc Acad Sci USA 75: 871-875
3. Hitoshi Matsumoto, et al., (2006) Clinical effects of fish type I collagen hydrolysate on skin properties. ITE Letters on batteries, new technologies and medicine, 7 (4)
4. Sumida E., (2004) The effects of oral ingestion of collagen peptide on skin hydration and biochemical data of blood. Journal of Nutritional Food 7 (3): 45-52
5. Morganti P., Randazzo SD., Bruno C., (1988) Oral treatment of skin dryness. Cosmet Toilet 103: 77-80
6. Matsuda, et al., (2006) Effects of ingestion of collagen peptide on collagen fibrils and glycosaminoglycans in the dermis. J Nutri Sci Vitaminol 52: 211-215